Huby, Bernard

I started at St Edward's in 1950 and was placed in Form 2 Alpha. Generally I was middle of the road academically and hated having to play rugby. Didn't mind the athletics side of things and was in the school athletics team, specialising in the highjump. I was inclined to the music scene within the school and even though I did not get into the choir (Push reckoned I had a voice like a crow) I did get into the orchestra and played the cello under the baton of Eugene Genin. Even today I can still manage a few correct notes on this instrument. My passage through the school was not very exciting and I finally reached the 'scholarship sixth' and became a prefect. My most graphic memory of this period is surviving a year of maths with Didge Rowe. However, I reckon he was one of the best maths teachers I've ever come across and I'll never forget his constant demand of "talk about it" before tackling a mathematics problem. So ended my days at the Eddies and I left with A levels in Physics, Mathematics and Theoretical Mechanics.

Onto Liverpool University to do Electrical Engineering, which sounded exciting at the outset, but turned out to be dreadfully boring as all we seemed to do was general engineering and I was informed that most of the electrical stuff was reserved for the final year. At the end of the first year I left the course by mutual agreement (more them than me) and wondered what on earth I was going to do next. Luckily I heard that a local telephone company sponsored students on degree courses and even luckier I had an uncle who worked there. I found out that they were trying to get students onto a Physics course in Brighton and to cut a long story short I managed to wangle my way onto the course and four years later ended up with a Degree in Applied Physics. As part of the agreement for getting sponsored on the degree course, I had to work for the company for several years after and I went through with this part of the deal. I was based at the Edge Lane factory and worked in one of the research areas developing new types of lelephone systems using transistor type technology. I found this quite interesting, but the situation changed suddenly when the company was taken over by Plesseys, and electronics firm based in the south of England. The research at the Liverpool plant came to a htitle and we were given the option of applying for jobs down south or getting stuck with a boring job in Liverpool. I wasn't particularly interested in moving down south at that stage and so I opted for the boring job. And believe me, it was boring. I put up with it for a while, but started to look round for titleernatives. The thought of teaching occured to me as I was interested in using all the knoweledge I had developed in Physics and Maths and it seemed that the salaries of teachers were not at all bad. So I left and did a one year certificate in teaching at Wolverhampton Teachers' College, and then got my first teaching position at a local college of further education in 1968. Life was very pleasant and in January 1969 I married Pat, whom I had known for about for years. TO BE CONTINUED.

Get more details at: